Thursday, June 16, 2011

Booking Through Thursday(1)

Booking Through Thursday is a weekly Meme about books and such that just kind of keeps you going..THIS week's question is:

With the advent (and growing popularity) of eBooks, I’m seeing more and more articles about how much “better” they can be, because they have the option to be interactive … videos, music, glossaries … all sorts of little extra goodies to help “enhance” your reading experience, rather like listening to the Director’s commentary on a DVD of your favorite movie.
How do you feel about that possibility? Does it excite you in a cutting-edge kind of way? Or does it chill you to the bone because that’s not what reading is ABOUT?

Well, I have a tough time dealing with ebooks. I LOVE having a Nook and Kindle ( I won the Kindle in a contest after I bought my Nook and just kind of...kept both) lol. Living in the middle of nowhere, the closest book store is like 30 minutes away, and the library is literally 50 ft by 30 ft of random books...the most recent additions being sometime in the mid eighties...Having an e-reader allows me to read books instantly and I don't have to waste all that time going to the store. The interactive stuff is pretty cool, but it's all extra...you can probably find the same things online somewhere. The actual thing you want is the book. I get SO irritated when the ebook costs as much if not more than the print book. Really? An electronic file that has no concrete physicality is costing me 17 dollars? In that case I definitely go with print books. There is just so much more character that a book can possess when it...actually exists in a physical sense...ebooks will never totally replace print books for me. I have a copy of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone that was an original print. It is so well read that the spine is bent in half, and my brother shot it with a paintball gun so pages 30-100 or so have an orangeish tint to them. Every time I curl up with it, the book isn't just a book...it is full of memories from when I was younger and I think that is the best thing about print books. They can take on a life of their own. 

Thats it for me!
~Andra~

No comments:

Post a Comment