Friday, January 31, 2014

Reading Challenges for 2014

I'm coming a little late to the party, but better late than never right! Here are all my challenge goals for 2014.
I think I will be a REBEL for 2014 and participate in the Dystopian Challenge! I've got so many of these books on my TBR shelf that I can barely look at them without getting that depressed and somber air of helplessness that accompanies many a dystopian novel. Just ask Katniss, Ender, Tris, Cassie, or any of the other heroes and heroines who are facing off against the big, bad, government these days.
One of the Biggest goals for Dystopia is to catch up with Tris and Four before Divergent hits theaters. While I have read Divergent, it's been a while, and I need to get caught up on books 2 and 3. Other Dystopians on my list are: 
Overall goal: 7-12 Dystopian Books
As challenges go, nothing helps me clear my shelves like Evie's TBR Pile Challenge over at Bookish! This year, I have THREE WHOLE BOXES of books that I would like to get through before I take on any newcomers, not to mention the countless ebooks that are taking up space on my kindle. While some of the books will be two birds, one stone kind of deals (I've been waiting to read Shatter Me for like EVER) most of these have been waiting around for years and I've decided that 2014 will be the year that I decide if they are "Keeper Shelf" material or not!

I've decided that I am going to have a committed relationship with my TBR pile this year, which means that we will be:
Married With Children: Overall Goal- 50+ TBR Pile Books


Next, we will make an intellectual out of me yet, I have joined the Back to the Classics Challenge! I've gotten too uncultured and ill-read now that I have been out of college for a while. I haven't cracked a book that has intimidated me since I made a valiant attempt at reading Ulysses during Victorian Literature Class. In order to complete this challenge, there are six categories of Classic that you have to read...I however am going to make it my personal goal to knock out some of those paranormal classics that have been making me feel guilty for not reading. This includes:

That's right, I will be reading what some consider to be the tri-fecta of classical horror stories! Frankenstein, Dracula, and The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr.Hyde! SO excited! Wish me luck my dears, because classical literature has never been my strong suit, so I am thrilled to be making the attempt!
Overall Goal: 6 Classics 

Whew! I'm getting exhausted (and excited) just thinking about all the literary greatness I'm going to experience this year. I will probably be adding to this list periodically over the course of the year, but I think I've got a solid amount of good reads to keep me busy for a while! Are you participating in any challenges this year? What are they? Have you been able to keep up so far? 

No comments:

Post a Comment