Thursday, July 21, 2011

Review: Vicious Little Darlings by Katherine Easer

Goodreads Description:
Sarah Weaver wasn't looking forward to starting at an all-girls school. But that was before she met Maddy. Maddy and her best friend, Agnes, are fun and rich and interesting—and for some reason, they seem to really like Sarah. Before long, Maddy and Agnes have moved Sarah into a big house off campus, where they cook together, buy each other presents, and share each other's secrets. So why does Sarah feel like something's bizarrely wrong? As more and more cracks start to show in Maddy's and Agnes's perfect veneers, Sarah notices some strange and disturbing things: Maddy's compulsive lying, Agnes's obsession with Maddy, and the deterioration of their friendship. And just when Sarah begins to question her own sanity, things turns deadly.

My Review:


What a strange book. I picked it up because the title is just thrilling...is it not? If it has a genre it would probably be suspenseful gothic. Kind of like a Mean Girls/Jane Eyre/Rose Red combination if you will. It wasn't quite paranormal, wasn't quite mystery. Other than one spell, a séance, and getting their palms read by a gypsy, there was really no magical elements to it. It was just entirely too creepy. The plot kept you guessing as tho who did what, who said what...wait, she did THAT?!? all the way unil the last chapter.

There is this intense undercurrent of malice and threat in the book, while at the same time, there is a powerful sense of love and longing between all three main characters Maddy, Agnes and Sarah. It was so dramatic and eerie, I found myself being drawn in almost at once. Sarah, the actual main character, was a little cynical, but she wasn't obnoxious about it like some characters are. She had some pretty funny/accurate things to say about college life.

The characters had to be the best part of the story. There wasn't all too much goin on plot-wise, other than figuring out who these crazy girls are. Maddy seriously has to be the most manipulative, malicious, posessing villain/friend ever. She is a true definition of a frenemy. She is so engaging and entrancing with her pep and beauty, but theres something devious and terrifying hidden in her eyes. She is a confirmed pathological liar, yet she has both Agnes and Sarah captured in her crazy game of love and hate. I thought the way that Agnes was so pathetically enraptured by Maddy was relatively disgusting. It reminded me of those annoying couples that you see all around who are just hanging on each other and just looking at them makes you feel like you're choking on sugar and puppies. Agnes was obsessed in a way that makes captain ahab's search for the white whale look like a spontaneous pleasure cruise. It was eerie the way that Agnes and Maddie coo'ed at each other. I totally get that. Sometimes, especially when talking to someone you really REALLY like, you get this weird baby voice going on. I'm not talking about actual baby talk, but maybe your voice gets all soft and dreamy and light...who knows how that came about, but I know I'm guilty of it. My friends always know when my friend/ex/love of my life calls because my voice gets all soft and mellow when normally I'm 100%loud and obnoxious all time.

There were a few parts and characters that seemed pretty irrelevant and felt like they were only there to take up space but overall it was an interesting, twisted, dark, relatively scary good read. I enjoyed it and am intrigued enough by it to read anything else by the author because she had a very surreal writing style that had this hard edge of realism to it that I haven't really seen before. I will give the book a 7/10. It was interesting, original and different. I wish I would have connected with the characters a little more and then I could rate it even higher, but it was a good book.

Fabulous. See Y'all later. I've gotta go run errands...then drink copious amounts of alcohol because the guy I've been in love with since I started highschool just got engaged to a girl he's been dating less than 3 months... so...yeah.

Cheers loves! Send me a drink in spirt!
XOXO
~Andra~

2 comments:

  1. I have like been seriously DYING TO READ this book for a while now. It looks like it's going to be a really great book. I've heard some good things about it, some mixed bag but mostly really good positive reviews.

    Suz @ A Soul Unsung
    Tweet Me!
    susanhaugland@att.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't decide whether to like this book or not...and I read it 2 months ago.

    ReplyDelete